Thursday, August 2, 2012
If you’re new to the gym, or even if you’ve had a membership for years, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with basic gym etiquette. Here are ten tips to follow:
1. Clean up. It’s OK to sweat while you work out, but don’t forget to clean up after yourself. Most gyms have sprays and wipes available for this purpose. It’s expected that you wipe down the equipment after each use. If nothing is provided, keep a towel handy.
2. Share with others. If it’s crowded, limit your use on the machines. Spending an hour on one isn’t necessary when others are waiting. While taking a break in between sets, step aside to let others use the equipment. If you’re the one waiting, try not to hover over someone. Use that time to vary your routine with different exercises.
3. Watch your noise levels. Unless there’s an emergency, cell phones should be put away. Lengthy and loud conversations can be distracting to your neighbors and can hinder your own workout. If you listen to music on headphones, keep the volume down so everyone around you can’t hear it.
4. Put things away. When you take a piece of equipment, it’s your job to return it to the right spot. Make sure you place all weights back so others don’t waste time looking for them or injure themselves by lifting more than they should.
5. Take care of the locker room. The important thing to remember is that the locker room is not your home bathroom. So, don’t hog the sink, mirror, or shower. Pick up after yourself and put towels in their proper place.
6. Watch your children. You’ll get a better workout if you can leave the kids at home. However, if they have a membership or will be at the gym daycare, see to it that they are where they’re supposed to be. Don’t let them jump all over the equipment or misuse it.
7. Eat later. Having a water bottle handy is a smart idea. It’s important to stay hydrated. But other snacks or food items should be kept off the gym floor and away from the equipment. It’s best to avoid spills and sticky messes.
8. Don’t interrupt. Be on time for class. If you arrive late, skip it. It can be disruptive when people walk in after it’s started.
9. Wear proper attire. Dress appropriately for your workout. To avoid tracking in mud, wear clean athletic shoes on the gym floor.
10. Stay focused on your routine. The goal is to get in a great workout. It’s not important what others around you are doing.
Following these tips will give you and everyone else a better gym experience!
Unique Fitness Concepts Blog Special: Order today at Unique Fitness Concepts and save 10% off your order with coupon code: 10BLOG