Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Whether you’re training in the gym or at home, there are a few things you want to keep in mind for a safe workout. Here are ten tips to follow while lifting weights that will help prevent injuries:
2. Watch your distance. Make sure you have plenty of room to correctly perform lifting movements without injuring anyone. Be aware not to restrict others by standing too close to them.
3. Use a spotter for major lifts, especially when the weights are above you.
4. Concentrate on your breathing. Holding your breath while lifting can leave you lightheaded and dizzy, putting you at risk for fainting.
5. Do not lock your joints. Locking joints, such as knees or elbows, can add stress to them and increase the risk of injury.
6. Always use collars on the bar to secure weight plates in place and prevent sliding.
7. Balance the stress on your body by keeping your hands at equal distance from the center of the bar.
8. Control your weights and do not drop them. Not only is it dangerous, it can damage the equipment.
9. Support your lower back by using a weight lifting belt for heavier exercises.
10. When you’re finished, return weights to their proper place to prevent yourself and others from tripping.
Unique Fitness Concepts Blog Special: Order today at Unique Fitness Concepts and save 10% off your order with coupon code: 10BLOG