Thursday, January 17, 2013
With the New Year, many people are reevaluating their fitness goals in an effort to be strong and healthy. What are some of the top things people are doing as they work towards achieving their goals? We’ve compiled a list of some of the latest fitness trends for 2013 to give you some ideas.
2. Dance Workouts. Classes, such as the popular Zumba, are getting people more excited to hit the gym. These high-energy workouts that use music and dance are great because they engage the whole body. It’s a nice alternative to the same old cardio routines, and it’s the perfect way to add some fun to your workout! Just keep in mind that it’s a good idea to start slow and advance.
3. Fusion Classes. This is another way to try something new and get your body working in a different way. It’s a combination of two different styles. Piloxing, for example, gives you the benefits of Pilates and Boxing. In order to stick with it, try going for a class that has at least one style of interest to you.
4. Outdoor fitness. So many people are taking their workout outdoors because of the many benefits. Various factors, like uneven terrain, help burn more calories. It’s also great for the mind. It affects your Vitamin D levels, which can reduce depression and frustration. The key to working outdoors is to always be prepared for the weather and conditions.
5. Boot-Camp Workouts. These are based off of the Army’s Basic Training Program. They’re gaining popularity because they get results by pushing you. If you can’t find a class at your gym, you can pick up a DVD and follow a routine at home. While the goal is to push yourself, it’s important not to push too hard. Lessen the intensity, if needed, in order to prevent injury.
6. Yoga. Some of the benefits you’ll see are an increase in stamina, flexibility, balance, and breathing. If you decide to go for this more calming routine, unlike the Boot-Camp workout, don’t forget to warm up and drink plenty of water. That will help prevent injuries from overstretching.
7. Strength Training – This is probably the most effective to way to lose fat, improve strength, and increase your overall physical fitness. And it’s beneficial to everyone. Like everything on the list, it’s especially important not to try too much too fast. The key is to slowly progress.
So, these are some of the top trends in fitness for the upcoming year. There’s a variety and something for everyone. Check out our store for any equipment you may need. Whichever one you decide to give a try, we hope you have a happy and healthy 2013!